DISCLAIMER: These notes are from the defunct k8 project which precedes SquirrelJME. The notes for SquirrelJME start on 2016/02/26! The k8 project was effectively a Java SE 8 operating system and as such all of the notes are in the context of that scope. That project is no longer my goal as SquirrelJME is the spiritual successor to it.

I made command line handling its own class, default and static in interfaces would work well here, oh well.

Making the help printing stuff also common is a good idea as it reduces duplicate code since everything is very much the same.

I realized that in my Java source tokenizer I can handle generics in certain situations rather than forcing them to be operators. However, I might just need to have a context sensitive retokenizer instead.

Another thing I will have to do to be self hosting besides writing my own compiler (and thus the run-time) is that I will need a SQLite implementation to be used by a fossil implementation. I could write my own version control but that would be beating the bush rather too much, plus I would have to design it first. One might say to just port it over or use git instead, but I'd have to port it to Java first, at least before a C compiler comes into the picture. Also, any C compiler running on my OS to be ran by the Java virtual machine would be slow due to certain nature of C code that most programs follow.

Reading yesterday's post, checking for class validity so to speak at the last moment is not too bad although you may end up loading a large file only for it to fail at the end. It is wasted effort but it simplifies the operation. The other alternative is to check first but that complicates things as fields will depend on specific values in other fields. Such a thing would be messy and it all must get checked at the end anyway. So there is potential loss, it is much rather simpler to just do it at the end. I would rather check once at the end than check two or more times when values are set and changed and at the end. Another thing I notice is that as I work on this, my repository size increases more and more as the dates roll by.

I decided to add some of my old notes that I wrote, mostly for k5 which is an earlier iteration of this kernel. The code I wrote earlier this year is much worse than the code I write now.

Since I like the echelon error system better, I changed CompileError to be a Throwable so that it may be used in the cause of EchelonError instead. Then there is just Code.COMPILER for said errors anyway.

What I should also do is make a common class for EchelonError since I like it so much.

After switching CompileError stuff to EchelonError I should change all my Vector usages to ArrayList since ArrayList does not synchronize. I perform my own synchronization anyway. If a collection ever does get exposed and requires synchronization then it can be wrapped in a class which does list wrapping. Another thought I had was making curly brace related depth errors more verbose in the compiler but that would complicate things a bit, I should keep the compiler simple for now.

I also need to switch javac to use the new command handling system since that is far superior and easier to work with. There is much to do in optimizing but it is for the better. Better to do it now when I have 138 mentions of Vector rather than later when I could have 1380.