DISCLAIMER: These notes are from the defunct k8 project which precedes SquirrelJME. The notes for SquirrelJME start on 2016/02/26! The k8 project was effectively a Java SE 8 operating system and as such all of the notes are in the context of that scope. That project is no longer my goal as SquirrelJME is the spiritual successor to it.
Hopefully soon I will have a PowerPC laptop to perform some work on. I also got very distracted with life events 2 days ago, hopefully I can resume coding soon. But I must clear my mind, hopefully fixing my PowerPC laptop will free my mind a bit. I also could then code on both of my laptops at the same time which may increase or decrease productivity. That laptop is a bit slower than this one, but every little bit is handy. I am not too sure on how I can code using both codebases at once, that is so changes on one system are affected on the other. I can use sshfs, however that has a bit of a speed problem in certain cases.
And now it is fully operational, k8 has not been updated on it since the fourth of July.
The prepdir.sh script is rather sluggish on the PowerBook G4 since it uses recursive invocation of the script to find more projects to parse. Switching this to a normal find would produce better results.
Rather hungry right now, just need to think about the solution what I currently need to use.
The changes increase speed very slightly but the bulk of slowness is in the JSON parsing shell script.
Using cut instead of sed is much faster, cannot believe I forgot about cut. Suppose sed is so powerful that you forget the simpler tools. There is also tr to change tabs into spaces, so simple. Removing those usages of sed seems to be a bit faster too.
I made the dojson.sh script batch the commands to be run so they can be run later than executing them all as they appear. Doubt it will make any difference in terms of speed however and might actually slow things down, however there is no need for a fork mid-execution.