DISCLAIMER: These notes are from the defunct k8 project which precedes SquirrelJME. The notes for SquirrelJME start on 2016/02/26! The k8 project was effectively a Java SE 8 operating system and as such all of the notes are in the context of that scope. That project is no longer my goal as SquirrelJME is the spiritual successor to it.


I did a bunch of thinking yesterday, but I also was resetting up my network to be a bit more efficient, so I did not code much. I still have to set it up.


I should work on this rather than watch Star Trek all morning.


Figured out how I can do the pipeline stuff, basically it can be done automatically to an extent. I will have to have it be capable of multiple architectures though for example. Anyway, each plugin can specify inputs and outputs which are supported. Then a builder can construct a path to get to the end result, either compiling or decompiling things to get to said points. In the future to make sure code is compiled correctly for the JVM, I can always use class files as the intermediary format. Then take any class inputs to create binaries and such.


I still think with all this pipeline stuff that the compiler rule setting is far more complex than it needs to be. Perhaps the compiler should just be a compiler and offer code translation rather than setting up rules for all of that. In the end, the front ends would be using such rules anyway.


The class output plugin should not take intermediate language and instead should take Java byte code, this way it can be separate from an architectural translation matrix of sorts.