DISCLAIMER: These notes are from the defunct k8 project which precedes SquirrelJME. The notes for SquirrelJME start on 2016/02/26! The k8 project was effectively a Java SE 8 operating system and as such all of the notes are in the context of that scope. That project is no longer my goal as SquirrelJME is the spiritual successor to it.


Packages are built, however for some reason the host package manager returns with an exit status of 1.

-rw-r--r-- 1 steven steven  36780 Oct  2 00:23 k8-package-manager.jar
-rw-r--r-- 1 steven steven   3423 Oct  2 00:22 k8-progress.jar
-rw-r--r-- 1 steven steven 106435 Oct  2 00:23 mpa-common.jar
-rw-r--r-- 1 steven steven   7546 Oct  2 00:23 mpa-jsonextra.jar
-rw-r--r-- 1 steven steven  53427 Oct  2 00:23 mpa-jsr353.jar
-rw-r--r-- 1 steven steven    952 Oct  2 00:22 mpa-safety.jar
-rw-r--r-- 1 steven steven   5900 Oct  2 00:23 mpa-services.jar
-rw-r--r-- 1 steven steven  11268 Oct  2 00:23 source.db

This is caused by postArgs returning CONTINUE (which gets eventually modified by the exit C system call and turns into 1). Now if CONTINUE is returned in postArgs, 0 is returned (1 for STOPARGS).


Using a new buffer strategy on stream close, I am able to then reduce JAR file sizes and not have class files me a multiple of the internal buffer size of BAFC. Extra junk after a class file is illegal anyway. What I need to do now is generate the JAR manifest file.


I have everything available and built now, however I am running into the much dreaded "java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: safety/Unchecked". And it does exist on the classpath.


Actually the cause is the function in my shell script, I use echo and not return to return the much needed information. Actually, shell script functions are not like that, return takes a value. I have never really used functions much at all. But perhaps a subshell would work better in this case.


Cannot solve it, do not know why the classes do exist in the classpath and in their JARs.


The only other problem I can think of is that some other JAR I have on my system has a package called safety which conflicts with my own. I think I will just combine it into common.


Merging works, but it was a very lonely package anyway, I should perhaps merge k8-progress packages into a k8.progress too.


The language for hairball scripts should be simple and not strictly Java, but I could use my preexisting tokenizer for Java that I made.


I am going to drop support for GNU classpath, because it is far too incomplete with at least Java 5 support. And limiting myself to it would be crippling, however if a sufficient class library is available then GCJ may still be used.


In its current state, everything compiles from OpenJDK 6 through 8. Support for GNU classpath in the future can be supported by a run-time patching mechanism which is capable of adding extra code in random packages to implement needed functionality as required. Now the major thing to do right now is to get hairball working and building stuff such as my own runtime and kernel packages. Another bonus is that I no longer need to use -clear and friends, I can just rm the hairball JAR to force a rebuild.


Moving the basics of my compiler to the new compiler wrapper system was quite simple. I also did a bit of a redesign in the main compiler loop to simplify things a bit.


I should split k8.tex into a user guide and a developer guide, where the developer guide is extended off the user guide (so you hopefully know how to use the system already). The user guide could contain extra stuff and such on how to actually do things, although keeping it up to date will be fun. I could always just add inlined latex comments in my source code and strip them all out, so if anything changes code wise it gets updated.