DISCLAIMER: These notes are from the defunct k8 project which precedes SquirrelJME. The notes for SquirrelJME start on 2016/02/26! The k8 project was effectively a Java SE 8 operating system and as such all of the notes are in the context of that scope. That project is no longer my goal as SquirrelJME is the spiritual successor to it.


Most of the code brought in just requires trivial changes as identifiers and such has changed.


So after just fixing up the relative jump code, the only things remaining would be the PC landing code and the pool related stuff.


So I pretty much have gone full circle in a way. I stopped at the native code recompilation stuff (to actual native code in a way) and decided on cleaning up everything. Soon I will again reach that point with a cleaned up code base.


So of all my code bringin, there is only a single change remaining. That is DUP2, although I am not sure how to translate that specified code. I started the mass bring in an hour ago, so it took about an hour to complete. I suppose bringing everything in at once has resulted it this being completed faster as I can change many things at the same time.


I decided on using the out and in regs, and checking them for size sanity.


Now I need to handle the virtual push/pop types for stack operations.


Although I still have some TODOs, I am back at poit.


I should be able to now remove the old decompiler code.


So now I am back to register mappings, it has been awhile. I started it on the 17th of April, so almost a month ago.


Did some more cleaning up of the vmjar tree.


I am going to require a visual program so I can see the result of recompilation on various input classes. Without this, I will be seeing the result of recompilation blind.


I would code it in swing for now since that I what know the most, and I do not want to learn JavaFX to write a complex utility. Eventually my plan as previously stated when it comes to the GUI is to have AWT, Swing, and JavaFX all use common code so it is reduced and so they look the same. Most likely AWT and Swing would be layered on top of JavaFX.


The GUI would add mappings for showing me Java source code (if it is found) and then showing me what the class looks like, which lines belong to which Java operations. Then that would flow along with native code and potential intermediary code that is generated from it. It would use the hairball system and the core compiler support system to do this. One thing that can work is just taking a pre-existing JAR file and then seeing how it maps out during code translation. Since generating correct code will be crucial and it must be checked for correctness. Then a remote debugging system could be attached to the program to determine the state of things and such. Not writing this debugging system would be foolish as it would be much harder to develop this OS as it would be guesswork and Logger debugging. It would also be best to have a command line version and a GUI based version. Since if I did just a GUI then I could not use it on my own OS until I got a GUI.


The debugger could probably do other things related to development also. So this would also probably mean that I will have to adjust hairball and the common compilation backend a bit to support using it in the way the debugger would like to. The debugger would also require hairball to exist so it can look at sources.


The debugger would also be handy if it were capable of building the kernel distribution then say launching it in QEMU, or attaching to another system.